One Day at a Time, One Step at a Time

Today I am grateful for the opportunities that await my stepdaughter Emily as she heads to DMACC to begin her post-secondary education. I am also grateful for messages of hope from others in addiction/alcoholism recovery.

One day at a time. That is how I hope Emily takes these first days, weeks, and months of her new home, classes, roommates, etc. It is also how I try to live life in recovery. Regretting yesterday's mistakes or worrying about tomorrow's potential problems only serve to waste energy and freeze out any joy today may offer. Only when I stay present, here and now, mindful, do I fully appreciate the fullness of life. Gratefulness. The great fullness of life.

One step at a time. That is how I hope Emily matures and grows into adulthood. Too much too soon and we miss the lessons, the experience. It is also how Darcy and I did a long training run yesterday.One step at a time for about 18 miles. Looking at 18 miles all at once would be discouraging. Looking at 18 miles as one step at a time, one mile at a time, keeps me moving and gets me to my goal.

Best wishes Emily. Take life a day at a time. Move into adulthood one step at a time.

Have a good weekend! I plan to be back blogging on Tuesday.

Comments