Mother's Day

Today I am grateful for a good training run yesterday and the return of green to our landscape. Spring green is more vivid, more welcomed this year after such a long winter.

On this Mother's Day, I am also grateful to be a mom and stepmom, and grateful for my own mom.I became a stepmom at age 33, and our son was born when I was 36. I had already lived a few years in adulthood, or tried to anyway. I had already weathered some storms and been blessed with much.But my son and stepchildren have only added to those blessings. They have also been some of my best teachers. I am grateful that motherhood is part of my life experience. It has enriched it beyond measure.

I found a couple of quotes that ring true for me:

"Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials."
(Meryl Streep)

The essentials are take care of those you love, share what you have with them, be present emotionally and physically. Those are the kind of essentials I want in my life. I loved my son's time as an infant and toddler. He needed us so much, but he was a wonder to behold as he grew and changed. He still is.

"Motherhood is the greatest thing and the hardest thing."
(Ricki Lake)

True. It's both gratitfying and frightening on a regular basis to be a mother, to love with a mother's love. But it's worth it. I consider it a gift to have my son and stepchildren in my life. Thanks to all three of you!

And thank you to my Mom. She's plugging along at age 82, still setting an example for and imparting values to her 13 children, over 25 granchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.

Happy Mother's Day Mom and all mothers! Enjoy your day and reflect with gratitude throughout the day.

Comments

  1. Great Post! It's so true that we learn so much being a Mom... I have yet to write about it, but I have always felt that I didn't truly grow up until I had my son... we basically grew up together :)
    Thank you for sharing... and God bless you, your children, and your Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate AnnMarie. I too have definitely done some growing up along with my son and stepchildren. I sometimes get selfish, and parenthood is about giving to others, being there for others. It helps balance me out.Thanks and Happy Mother's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment