Further Observations

Today I am grateful for my job and the communication skills I have gained there. I am also grateful for my co-workers and the support we lend one another.

I want to share two further observations from our weekend travels. As we drove through Worthington, MN and then arrived in Sioux Falls, SD on Friday, we were met with some scenes of destruction. Both communities were hard hit by an ice storm recently. The ice and wind combination had done a real number on many trees. With our late spring this year, the trees were still bare and the damage was quite visible. Many trees had numerous branches snapped off. The trees looked battered and beaten, but they were still standing strong. They had new scars, but now they have new leaves too. There are some obvious analogies there. Life is tough on each of us at times. Storms come and go. No one is left unscathed, but that adds to our character. In losing something, we often gain something else.

Scarred, but still standing. I think of that as I consider my mastectomy scars and the health I have been blessed with since completing cancer treatment. I lost something, but I gained too. I gained perspective and a deeper sense of how my physical body is but a part of my whole being.

That was observation number one. Observation number two came on Sunday morning when I went for a run. I decided to run to Upper Tuthill Park where Darcy and I were married in a simple outdoor ceremony on a beautiful night in July of 1998. They don't call it Upper Tuthill for nothing. To get to our wedding site, I had to climb a sizeable hill. It was worth it Sunday morning to get to the top and to honor where our marriage began. More analogies. In marriage, there have been some hills to climb, but also some wonderful views and plenty of smooth cruising. Commitment and healthy relationships take time and attention. Just like climbing a hill does.

I am grateful for Darcy and our marriage. Grateful for the observations that come my way when I am open to receiving them.

Comments

  1. I really liked this... thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you AnnMarie! I like your post today as well...about appreciating hot showers. It truly IS the LITTLE things isn't it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is those little things. Thank you for stopping by and posting. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog :)

      Delete

Post a Comment