Mobility

Today I am grateful for a relaxing Mother's Day and some time to read and write. I am also grateful for a working computer.

Yesterday my husband Darcy, our son Sam, and I went on a bike ride. All able-bodied and healthy, we easily donned our helmets, got on board, and took off down the trail. We rode through parts of our community, up and down hills, free and easy (maybe some of the hills weren't easy, but we still made it).

We have a little tradition on these bike rides-stopping at one of the convenience stores on our route for some refreshments. The guys went in to the store and I sat down on the curb. I observed an older lady moving slowly out of the store and toward a  nearby car. I am guessing it was her son helping her, probably out celebrating Mother's Day. It looked painstaking for her to get off the curb and maneuver into the car. The man appeared gentle and patient. I was far enough away to not hear any spoken words or see any facial expressions, but the actions spoke loudly and lovingly.

The word mobility popped into my head, along with a real dose of gratitude for the mobility that I have, that my family has. Talk about taking something for granted, how many of us do just that with our ability to move from place to place, up and down stairs, through doors? 

Seeing the limited mobility of this woman reminded me to appreciate my own mobility, to be thankful for it, to be cautious in protecting it.

As you move through your day today, think about what a gift it is to be able to do so.

Comments

  1. I know the loss of mobility *sigh*... in what seems like a blink of an eye, I went from hiking in the poconos almost every weekend to barely able to climb up a flight of steps. It's frustrating and yet at the same time I still thank God for the mobility I do have left... I'm always reminded of that children's book "It Could Always Be Worse". No where truer words have ever been spoken or written.

    I'm glad that you and your family enjoyed your Mother's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your loss of mobility AnnMarie, but I appreciate that
    you have touched on a key aspect of gratitude-focusing on what we still have versus dwelling on what we don't have or what we had but lost. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment