Commence

Today I am grateful for safe travels this weekend and for the accomplishments of my stepson Arthur and his fiance Alyssa as they achieved their Bachelor's degrees. I am also grateful for time with Darcy's family.

We attended undergraduate commencement ceremonies at South Dakota State University on Saturday to watch Arthur and Alyssa walk across the stage. I made many observations as I watched the pre-ceremony and then the ceremony itself. Every graduate, and there were around 700, has an individual story. I hope everyone had loved ones there to witness their accomplishment and celebrate with them.

Those four years went fast. Darcy and I only have vague recollections of our college graduations, back in 1987. Those 26 years went fast too. The commencement speaker on Saturday was author Kathleen Norris, with roots in South Dakota herself. She had good wisdom to impart in her address titled "Refusing to live on an island." My favorite of her lines was "Wherever you go, try not to mistake it for the center of the universe." Beware of complacency and look for ways to serve others. "Take what you have learned on the island of SDSU with you . . . " Am I using what I have learned from my time on the various "islands" of my life? It's a good reminder.

The student speaker was senior Ty Littau. He spoke of relationships. Those his peers and he created at SDSU. Those that await them as they leave school and enter their careers, start families, move to new places, etc. From the podium, he also advised fellow graduates to not forget what he believes is the most important relationship-the one we each have with our Maker. I rarely use the term "Maker," opting for Higher Power more often. But I appreciated that he used that term. None of us created ouselves. And we have all had ample help along the way. Let us not forget that. Let us be grateful for that help and support.

Commence. Go forth. Make a beginning. Start with today. That applies to each of us as much as it applies to these most recent graduates. If you haven't made a start on regularly practicing gratitude, I encourage you to begin today.

Comments

  1. Wow! Kathleen Norris, what a treat. I have read several of her books; always good wisdom.
    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you D. Which book of Norris' do you recommend? I am going to try to get one on my summer reading list. Thanks for the encouragement too!

      Delete

Post a Comment