Last Day, First Day

Today I am grateful for family and friends, and for milestones like high school graduation for those achieving it in the coming weeks.

Today is the last day of high school for my stepdaughter Emily and her classmates, and for the seniors at the school where I work. Such excitement and such energy! It always gives me pause to reflect on the hope and promise of a young life about to head into adulthood. Last day of high school, first day of the rest of your life.

I mentioned earlier this week, on the 19th, that my own high school graduation was thirty years ago to the day. Wow! I can't believe thirty years have gone by. I have been so deeply blessed, it is humbling. Recovery, running, writing, marriage, motherhood . . . and that is just getting the list started.

Some seniors will be out partying and celebrating. Some will make unhealthy and dangerous choices. I hope they make it through. I am grateful I did.

We all have those last day, first day milestones to reflect on. There may be regrets, grief, losses. But I hope there is also plenty of focus on gifts, blessings, gratitude, lessons learned, progress made.

Have a good day, unless you've made other plans.

Comments

  1. my first thought reading this was... yes, i remember those days long ago, when the whole world was in front of me and i was young and invincible... then i chuckled because i remembered some of what i managed to get through to get to here lol... God bless those coming into their own, enjoy the ride and don't forget to buckle up!

    Thank you Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the ride indeed! We may not have the energy of youth, but we have some hard-won wisdom. Young or old, practicing gratitude sure improves the scenery of our ride. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment