In Search of....an Address

Today I am grateful to all those who are working so hard to clean up our community after last week's storm and that yesterday's power outage was only an hour in duration. I am also grateful that Facebook helped me reconnect with an old friend.

I have been looking for a couple of people I had wanted to send gratitude letters to, trying to find addresses. One of those people was a key person in my life at a key time in my recovery from alcoholism. She helped me get on track with the right efforts and the right sources of support. My recovery started to blossom, and I owe some of that to her sound advice. It was just what I needed then and I continue to follow through on one of the recommendations to this day. It has led to much growth, learning, and acceptance.

We lost touch after I moved away and I hadn't seen her in several years. My search led me to something I wasn't expecting . . . her obituary. She died in 2009. I had no idea. It really hit me. I had missed her passing and her memorial service. I missed this last chance to thank her again for the help she gave me.

But it also hit me how grateful I was that she had touched my life. Her words of wisdom were just that.

In this search I found her daughter, who had been a friend as well. Social media has given us the chance to reconnect and I am sending this gratitude letter to her in honor of her mother. I wrote it to my deceased friend, and I know she will receive it on some level, just not the earthly one.

Rest in peace Phyl. Thanks for your help at a crucial point in my recovery. I will never forget you.

Comments