Being a Beacon

Today I am grateful for the sound of my son's laughter. It is music to my ears. And for some good consignment store deals found yesterday. I am also grateful that I have beacons in my life.

Discussing letting our own light shine and reading Marianne Williamson's quote reminded me of one of my favorite songs. It is called "You Can't Be a Beacon If Your Light Don't Shine." Donna Fargo sang it and in 1974 it reached #1 on the Billboard Top 100 Country songs. I was 9 in 1974, but I remember that my mom liked Donna Fargo and some of her other songs like "Happiest Girl in the U.S.A." and "Funny Face."  I always liked this particular song though, and as I got older, I realized the profound message it was expressing.

Here are some of the words:

You can't be a beacon
If your light don't shine
There's a little light
In all of us by God's design
But you can't be a beacon
If your light don't shine

How can you ask for truth
When you do not truthful live
How can you ask forgiveness
When you don't forgive

How can you offer vision
Yet walk around blind
No, you can't see a beacon
If it's light don't shine

But it ends with:
You can be a beacon
If you let it shine
You can be a beacon
If you let it shine

I believe we are all called to be beacons. These words are deeply meaningful to me today because through recovery and healing, through regular practice of gratitude, and the humility that accompanies it, I feel my light burning brighter.

Let your light shine. The rest of us need it!

Comments