Speaking of Sitting

Today I am grateful for warm oatmeal, a working stove to make it on, and sharing this breakfast with my husband Darcy. 

Continuing on the topic of sitting, I could benefit from more of it from the simple physical standpoint too. The meditative idea of sitting is helpful, but I get up from that quiet time of reflection and head into my day. I am a doer and a mover and there isn't any visible moss growing anywhere near my feet. 

By sitting in quiet reflection and slowing my perpetual thinking, I am also gaining awareness of the toll of perpetual motion on my body. I have long prided myself on the physical capabilities I have maintained as I have aged. But . . . 

. . . there is foolish pride and there is healthy pride. Foolish pride says keep going, you got this. I end up exhausted and feeling frustrated because of course I still fell short of my expectations. I may have gotten closer to the bottom of my to-do list, but I ended up further from taking good care of myself, all of me. 

Healthy pride recognizes that sitting and taking a break is sometimes the best thing to do, even if brief. Healthy pride acknowledges that I am as much defined by what I don't do as what I do. There is age-defying that can lead to age-denying that can lead to injury and illness. 

Speaking of sitting, I will remember to take some seated breaks today. I am worthy of that and more. 

Comments