American Women

Today I am grateful for a peaceful and unifying inauguration of America's 46th president, Joe Biden, yesterday. I also appreciated the concert and celebration that came together virtually from many places around the country. 

I am brimming with pride as an American woman this morning too. It was wonderful to watch history made yesterday as Kamala Harris was sworn in as the first-ever female Vice President. Fittingly, she was sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and 3rd woman named to the court. Harris is also the first Black and South Asian to serve as Vice President. 

I am impressed by what I am learning about Kamala Harris as a person, a lawyer, a Senator. I believe she will be an important and active presence in this administration. She speaks often of her mother, who died in 2009. Shyamala Gopalan Harris, a native of India, was a biomedical researcher who helped advance the treatment of breast cancer. She also supported the activist organization Breast Cancer Action. These are connections made to important matters in my own life. 

I was quite impressed with Amanda Gordon, the 22-year-old national youth poet laureate. Listen to her poem "The Hill We Climb" here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz4YuEvJ3y4

Many lines struck me. Her delivery inspired me. 

Jen Psaki, the new White House Press Secretary, held the first press briefing of this administration last evening. She pledged truth and transparency. She brings experience to this position as well.

Intelligent women. Well-spoken women.  Genuine and warm women. American women. I am proud to be one too. 



Comments