How to Sit

Living gratefully today, I appreciate stretches of the physical and emotional variety. They help me open up to a new day. 

I also got a chuckle this morning from an unlikely source— dog poop. You know the saying “poo-poo rolls downhill?” It literally did this morning as our dog Oliver got on top of a little snow pile to do his business. I had to step out of the way before it hit my shoes. I smiled and we continued on our way. 

How to sit. Sounds simple enough. Where to sit is a more frequent question. I have been doing more regular meditation in recent weeks. I always feel good when I do it, but haven't been able to make it a regular habit in my life. 

I hope more consistent practice helps me more consistently make meditation part of my routine. What we practice grows stronger. 

Sitting is an integral part of meditation, so how to sit becomes an important question. It really is about where and how to begin the quiet, reflective time it is meant to be.  I have a couple places in our house where I will typically sit. 

I may not always literally be sitting. Sometimes I am more reclined, or even laying down.  But sometimes it is important to have my feet on the ground. The key is an open and comfortable posture and a straight enough spine for relaxed breathing. 

Some use a chime or bell to begin and end the time. I most often listen to guided meditations, so I go with the approach provided. 

The most crucial aspect seems to be tuning into one's breathing and using it as a way to become fully present, and to release what we don't want sticking around and take in more of what we do want available for the day ahead.

When I do more regular practice, always in the mornings for me, I often find I use these "how to sit" ideas more readily during the day as well. Pausing for a couple breaths. Sitting at my desk and becoming aware of the feel of my feet on the floor. Simple things with sometimes significant impact.

Darcy and I were in our downtown area last evening and spent a few minutes in the car enjoying this view of the lights, the bridge, and the Mississippi. 


It sums up what mindful sitting can do. It's the difference between just noticing the lights and actually taking in the energy they have. 

Give yourself the opportunity to sit today. Sit in a new and deeper way. What will you find there? 


Comments