In My Sister's Words: A Citizen's Apology

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the growing daylight already evident, and the opportunity to snowshoe with my husband Darcy.

Like so many others, I continue to reel from and ponder the events of this past week in my country. 

My country. Our country. A country that I love, but that I have also ignored at times. Democracy and disengaged citizens are not a good combination. 

As my sister Ruth so accurately put it in this poem:

Letter of Apology

Sorry I took you
for granted.
I always thought 
you would be here.

Sorry when others talked
behind your back,
called you names,
I didn’t speak up.

I promise to do better.
I will not take you for granted.
I will stand up for you,
when others speak ill.

Democracy, 
I hope it’s not 
too late. 

Ruth Busta  January, 2021

I owe my nation the same apology, and I offer the same pledge to stand up and do my part. Thank you Ruth! 

And I leave you with this quote as well:

"Love and hope are infinitely more powerful than hate and fury."     Heda Margolius Kovaly 

(*Heda Margolius Kovaly survived Auschwitz. Her parents did not. Consider reading more about her.) 

Comments