Contribute

Today I am grateful for courageous people and the Constitution of the United States of America.

I have been at a loss for words, but not emotions, in recent days. There is one word I keep returning to: sadness. Sadness for what has transpired. First, on Wednesday in our nation's capitol. Then, with the deadliest U.S. daily toll of COVID-19 yesterday. Sadness. 

This poem rolled around the last couple days. It's not polished or all that eloquent, but I wanted to get something down.  Here it is and here we are:

Contribute 


I cannot speak 

for you. 

You cannot speak 

for me.


Each of us has

our own stories 

to live and tell.


We can join 

our voices 

in unison 

for decency 

and democracy. 


Judging one another

will not serve us,

our nation,

or the world now. 


Our energies 

are needed 

elsewhere.


Put it to use 

being a 

contributing member 

of society.

Start local. 

Think national. 

Don't forget global.


Contributing, 

not contaminating.


Our nation, 

our health, 

our living constitution, 

and our legacy

need our best

efforts of citizenship

today and always. 


I will strive

to do my part.


Will you strive to 

do yours? 


Lisa Valentine 1/2021



Comments