Peeling Carrots

Today I am grateful for time with friends old and new, and for the opportunities to see genuine gratitude and humility expressed by genuine humans.

Yesterday morning as I peeled some carrots to take for lunch, I decided to focus on being present for the task. Mindful presence can be a tall order for me, especially as I get ready to head into a busy day. Yet, I can decide to bring myself right here, right now.

I appreciated that I was taking some time for a healthy snack. I got absorbed in the mundane task, a peel at a time. I embraced the skill level that I attained growing up peeling carrots and other vegetables from the garden on our farm as I helped prepare meals for our large family. I have good speed and dexterity and a decent peeler to use. It became an exercise in pausing and being grateful.

I enjoyed some of those carrots as I took a few minutes to grab lunch in my busy work day. I don't always slow down like I should when I eat at work. I did a little better job of it yesterday. It started with paying attention to the peeling and preparation earlier in the day.

Yes, it can be that simple. Doing what is in front of me to be done, with my full attention, never fails to calm me and bring deeper gratefulness. I am deciding to do some more of that today.

Comments

  1. Doing what is in front of me to be done - with my full attention. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment