A Rabbit and a Connection

Living gratefully, I am noticing yet another winter wonderland and snowy trees no artist or photographer can fully capture. I may be tired of the snow, but not of the awe and beauty it can bring. I am also appreciating the recovery friends I have and how they help keep me grounded.

Yesterday morning in the pre-dawn light, I noticed a rabbit near our house, trying to reach a low lying leaf on a bush. It got a nibble, paused, moved a little, paused again, and then hopped away.

Just enough of a connection to remind me how we, this rabbit and I, are both part of our neighborhood and the larger world. Living things sharing space and some mutual respect. The snow has made it difficult for the rabbit to get around, and humans too. It is March now, so even with a significant blanket of snow, the rabbits are more active.

They don't actually hibernate, but we tend to see less of them in the winter. They are like humans that way too. Rabbits like dawn and dusk and are out and about more then. I appreciate the changing daylight and those times of the day are ones from which I tend to draw energy and wider connections.

Rabbits can be pests in our yard in the spring and summer, but I can be a pest to those around me too. Especially when I don't take time to pause. When I am too busy overthinking and overdoing, I get in my own way. And also in the way of others.

This rabbit and our brief exchange and shared pause yesterday reminded me of some important aspects of life. Presence. Take a moment. Respect others and their place and space. Respect yourself and where you are at, physically but also mentally, emotionally and spiritually.


Comments