Zero

Today I am grateful for the longer daylight as we head into February. I am also grateful for a nap yesterday and a phone conversation with my sister.

This most recent A-Z blogging journey is about to wind down. I guess that makes ZERO a fitting word to end with.

Zero has these and other definitions:
-a quantity of no importance
-a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number
-the point of a scale from which positive or negative numerical quantities can be measured

Zero can be considered a starting point. For most of my life, I had run zero marathons. When my husband and I were 39 in 2004, we ran our first in Chicago. We are now up to 12 completed marathons with current discussions of where we may run #13 this fall. Every marathon starts at mile zero. The starting line.

I began my days of recovery at zero. I had my first sober day and then I kept having them, with the ongoing help, support, and wisdom of many others and a Higher Power. From zero to one day at a time to 25 years. I began at zero many times before I actually maintained recovery. Sometimes I went weeks or months without drinking, sometimes only hours. In my lowest times, I felt less than zero, worthless.

From those days of feeling less than zero, I have added self-worth and compassion for others by adding gratefulness to my days. I can safely say today that my gratitude list is never at zero. There is always something on the list and always more to add. That is a good way to add value to life. Look for the gratitude.

Comments