Delays and Denials

Today I am grateful for the sunshine and blue sky that takes the edge off a cold winter day. I am also grateful to be able to help some friends who are moving to our neighborhood.

I still have thoughts of Valentine's Day in my head, and chocolate on my breath. In thinking about how and when Mr. Valentine came into my life over 17 years ago, I recall a breakfast out with a friend a few months before I met Darcy. This friend was a co-worker, supportive, a good listener. I had had a few dates in the prior months and none had panned out much. I'm sure I was feeling a little sorry for myself and looking for some sympathy, but by then I had also come to a better place with how I felt about myself and life. I had come to some acceptance, but patience was more of a challenge.

As we left the restaurant and went to pay, my friend Elli noticed the day's quote on a perpetual calendar and pointed it out to me. It simply said:

"God's delays aren't necessarily God's denials."

It fit well with our conversation, and it was at least hopeful. Though part of me had tired of hearing "if it's meant to be, it will happen" and things along those lines. Especially from my married friends and relatives.

I remained hopeful and within months I met Darcy and here we are 17 years later with a life and a family together. And a growing and deepening sense of gratefulness.

It's not always wedded bliss, and if you were one to say it is for you and your spouse, I wouldn't be inclined to believe you anyway. But the gifts are many and the joy is plenty. The love is strong and the communication is meaningful. Darcy and our lives together have been and continue to be well worth the wait.


Comments