A Pause Here, A Pause There

Today I am grateful for hooded sweatshirts and for several worthwhile pauses in my day yesterday.

Yesterday I made a point of following my own suggestion from yesterday's blog post:
"To be fully alive in more moments today I will consciously pause in gratefulness."

Because I tend to get caught up in the day pretty quickly and forget my own best intentions, I need visual reminders. I had a portion of yesterday's post printed out and I took it with me to work and kept it near my laptop. That allowed me to remind myself to pause, just pause, several times during what was a really busy work day. I had already done it a couple times at home before leaving for work too.

It may have been five or six pauses, and in total it was mere seconds and minutes, but it made a significant difference in my day. The pause gave me a second to slow down and consider what I was grateful for in that simple moment. That brought me back to a better place of balance, helped me regroup, reminded me of what my next priority should be. And it kept the busy times of the day in perspective. This meeting. That email. This student. That parent. They were all important, but none needed to take over my day, my thoughts, my actions.

I came home from that full day in a better frame of mind. I was kinder and gentler with myself and others throughout the day. I was still tired by day's end, but not in a defeated and exhausted way. It works. It really does.

A pause here. A pause there. Repeat as needed.


Comments