Vaccine, Antitoxin, and Antiseptic

Today I am grateful for my favorite sweatshirt and for stain remover to help me get Sam's baseball pants clean after each game.

There are stain removers and there are the removers of germs, bacteria, and other dangers. Vaccines. Antitoxins. Antiseptics. I am grateful for all of these and how they have made the world a healthier, safer place.

The quote for today in my gratitude journal is:

"Gratitude is a vaccine, an antitoxin, and an antiseptic." (John Henry Jowett)

Jowett was an English Congregational pastor in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Such an effective pastor that churches in England and the U.S. practically fought over him. Think of the time he lived in and the vaccines, antitoxins, and antiseptics that weren't even discovered or available yet.

A vaccine is an injection to protect against a certain disease. An antitoxin is a substance formed in the body that counteracts a specific toxin. An antiseptic is a substance applied to living tissue or skin to reduce the possibility of infection.

Now, consider it from the stance of gratitude. If I inject myself with regular doses of gratitude and share with others too, I am less likely to contract self-pity, impatience, and various other forms of soul sickness. If I build up the levels of appreciation and gratitude I feel in my heart and soul, the poisons of resentment and self-pity don't have a chance to take hold. If I regularly apply gratitude in my daily life, the dirt and grime of "never good enough" and self-pity are washed away and rather than a harmful infection developing, a positive perception of self and surrounding world develops.

For me, self-pity is indeed disease, poison, and harmful bacteria all at once. It nearly killed me more than once. I guard against it today with regular attempts at appreciating the life I have, the people I love, and the day ahead.

What are your vaccines, antitoxins, and antiseptics?

Comments