Trying a "Like List"

Today I am grateful for my job and the opportunities it presents for both professional and personal growth.I am also grateful for planks, sit-ups, and push-ups to wake my muscles up.

A recovery friend gave me something to think about the other day. A few of us were talking about gratitude and how we do a gratitude list. She said that a gratitude list felt too much like a duty to her and she preferred to do a "like list." That made some real sense to me. Taking time at the end of the day, or throughout the day, to note what you have liked about this day is a positive practice.

I tend to look at gratitude in a broader sense. What and who am I thankful for, not necessarily who I owe a thanks to. I do try to send notes, texts, emails, and give face-to-face thanks when they are called for, but for me gratitude is more about awareness than obligation.

Not everyone sees it like that. To some, gratitude can seem like a debt owed. If I am thankful for something or someone, I must be in their debt and owe them something and that feels like pressure and more to do. I appreciate that my recovery friend gave me some food for thought and a new technique. On those days when I am not feeling very grateful, because I am tapped out, a little resentful, or whatever, then I can try a "like list." It seems more palatable. Thanks for the wisdom!

Sure, they are close, a gratitude list and a like list, but if that small difference in approach allows you to become more aware of what is going well in your life, I'm all for it.

A "like list" is just recognizing what you are enjoying or have enjoyed about your day:

-I like that cup of coffee I had this morning.
-I like that song I heard on the radio when I was driving.
-I like seeing the green grass that will soon need to be mowed.
-I like that I didn't have to run an extra errand after work yesterday.
-I like the way our dinner tasted, and it was easy to make.
-I like the early morning quiet.
-I like that today is Friday.

Either type of list will have a similar effect, I believe. You will be left feeling better about the lot in life you have been dealt. You won't feel as alone or isolated. And that will change how you look at everything, how you react to everything. Gratitude, however you come by it, is a positive perception builder if there ever was one.

Comments

  1. I like that I see green grass today; when did it come? How did I miss it spouting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring can sneak up on us in little ways, even when we think we are paying attention. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment