Life's Puddles

Today I am grateful for a relaxing Mother's Day and for lessons taught by little things like rain puddles.

Yesterday we went for a bike ride. It was one of my wishes for the day. We had gotten some rain overnight and there were a few puddles on the trail. I try to avoid them because I don't want dirt up the back of my shirt. I don't want a mess or more work to do.

As we rode along, I noticed how many times Sam intentionally went right through the puddles. He went out of his way to hit them while I was going out of my way to miss them. I let him have his fun. Kids go through puddles. Kids laugh a lot more than adults do too. (One article I read said kids laugh on average 300 times a day, while for adults it is only about 20 times.)

I won't go into all of that discussion. Sure, we have more responsibilities. We need to be serious at times. I am just going to take a simple lesson from my son's simple act of riding his bike through puddles. Some puddles are meant to be enjoyed, others avoided. Some messes are worth cleaning up because they were worth creating. Other messes, not so much fun to create or clean up.

Lighten up. Find things to laugh at. Share the fun. Let others know they can relax around you. These all seem like good goals to me. I think I will go look for some puddles to run through today.

Comments