It Bears Repeating

Today I am grateful for the writing of Dani Shapiro and Madhulika Sikka. I am also grateful for the people who help teach me life's important lessons.

One of the main reasons I try to practice gratitude on a daily basis is that it helps me stay mindful and present. It helps me stay tuned in to the here and now. One of the main reasons I try to stay mindful and focus on living life one day at a time is that it works especially well for people recovering from addictions. Arguably, it works especially well for anyone who chooses to apply it, addict or not.

I first learned about this idea of "one day at a time" from my friends in recovery from alcoholism. I have been hearing it for nearly 25 years and I can say I finally understand it and strive for it. It is a message that definitely bears repeating.

Here are some of the mantras I call to mind to assist me in this endeavor of staying in today:

*Right here, right now.
*Just for today.
*Life is hard by the yard. By the inch it's a cinch.
*Mindfulness over mind-fullness.
*ODAT (shortened version of one day at a time).
*Take it one day, one hour at a time.
*Pay attention.
*Just breathe.

One of the daily meditation books I read focused on this idea last week. In the words of Melody Beattie:

"We can do anything. Just not all at once."

"Thank God for the ability to break life down into days."

As I said, I have been hearing this idea for nearly 25 years. It is only in more recent years that I feel I might be getting better at actually staying in today. Gratitude practice is a big part of this for me. If I am paying attention to my current gifts, I am aware of the present moment. I am also less likely to be full of worry and fear, which are real robbers of mindfulness when they take hold.

One blessing at a time. One day at a time. Both bear repeating. And repeating.


Comments