Your life can be what you want it to be . . .

Today I am grateful for a pleasant (yes pleasant!) 20-mile run yesterday morning, our last long training run before Omaha. I am also grateful for my Brooks Ariel running shoe that has worked so well for me for years. I got a new pair yesterday and will break them in a little before the marathon.

Back to line 3 of the "Ten Things to Always Remember . . ." quote: Your life can be what you want it to be.

Hope abounds in this line, but underlying that is the call to action. I can start by setting goals and dreaming about those goals. But if I don't take action and work hard, nothing will come to fruition.

In my coaching days, the athletes I worked with often heard me say "Hard work always pays off." I also believe that working hard and striving for goals is the real way to self-esteem. (I do have to be careful not to overdo it, so hard work needs to come with balance and rest.)

It is concerning how many messages our culture and the rampant media send about "quick fixes" like 6-minute abs and wonder pills to help you lose weight. There's a growing sense of entitlement that things should be better, faster, easier. That spells big trouble in my opinion. It takes the responsibility for my destiny and spreads it around too much. It enables mediocrity.

Ultimately, I am the only one who controls my attitude and actions. I am fortunate to have many supportive friends and family around me, but I take each step on my runs and I type each word on this blog. And it feels good. It keeps me coming back for more.

Life truly is what you make it. If you let life happen to you, if you play the victim, I hope that you consider some changes. Dream. Work. Take healing actions. Believe in yourself.

I am so grateful today for those in my life who have taught me to believe in myself. It has made all the difference.

Comments

  1. This post is the kick in the butt I needed. Been feeling sorry for myself as I recover from knee surgery: the ongoing pain, the slow pace, and the lack of exercise were getting me down. After reading this, I remember that recovery stinks, but it doesn't have to be such a drag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you and thanks for letting me know my post made a difference! Recovery from surgery is tough...but it sounds like you've been through tougher with breast cancer surgeries. Hang in there! Little steps-literal and figurative ones-can make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment