GIMR

Today I am grateful for . . . this blog and how it pushes me to keep looking at gratitude in fresh ways. I am also grateful for the rain we are getting this morning.

My friend and I had a conversation the other morning that not only changed my day but gave me another good tool for my spiritual tool box. Practicing faith and expanding my spiritual health takes time and practice. A full toolbox with effective tools helps. Here's the latest addition--GIMR.

GIMR = God Is My Refuge. My friend shared that after reading it in a recovery-related meditation book. The words struck a strong chord with her . . . as words will sometimes do when we are open and willing. So she wrote GIMR in a couple places on her wrist and inside her thumb so she would better remember the words as she went through her day. She was amazed at how well it worked. Less frustration and resentment, more peace and calm.

God is my refuge. Without faith, the world would be a lonely, scary place for me. And when it does get lonely and scary, as it will for all of us at times, faith sustains me if I reach for it.

So I tried it. When I got to work that morning, I put GIMR on my inner wrist on my left hand. It was subtle but prominent enough to remind me several times throughout the day what I should and should not give my energy to. Around lunch time that day, my more open mind let these additional GIMR thoughts in: Gratitude Is My Redemption. Grace Is My Reward.  Wow! Pretty incredible what can come through when the channels are open and not just broadcasting static.

Gratitude is my redemption. When I get sucked into negativity or self-pity, when I am disappointed and expecting too much, a dose of gratitude brings me back to positive perceptions. From there, I can climb out of the pit I created for myself.

Grace is my reward. Grace: a gift freely given. The gift of humility and feeling like I belong in the stream of life.

GIMR keeps giving.

Comments

  1. I love this; you know I will use it in a sermon.
    What beautiful words, so simply put. We can find it, taste it, know it, feel it...live in this grace. God is Good...all the time!
    Thanks for the link today; I will try to put it some place where I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks D! God is good...all the time! I am the one who gets in trouble at times. :-) But grace is there for all. Onward!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment