Midwestern Realism

Today I am grateful for my favorite sweatshirt on a cool morning. I am also grateful for the beautiful fall colors and fresh air I enjoyed on a bike ride last evening.

I am a Midwestern farm girl, so I fully appreciate the work ethic and practical attitude I saw growing up. I also saw it on the streets of Omaha Sunday. I always enjoy reading the signs that fan supporters hold up along the course. I was struck by the humor and realism in the ones I saw last weekend. Thanks Omaha for giving us some of the best signs to read.

One of my favorites was around mile 3. It said "You are NOT almost there." I chuckled because you will hear many people shout "You're almost there" from the sidelines. But when it is at mile 13 of a marathon, believe me it doesn't feel really encouraging. Maybe around mile 25 "You're almost there" works, but not much earlier. So I appreciated the humor there.

Near the top of the biggest hill on the course, around mile 8, a man was holding a sign that said something like "Saddest parade line ever."  Darcy and I both got a laugh out of that one.

A couple others I recall along the way were "Stop reading this sign and keep running" and "I bet this sounded like a good idea four months ago."

Not fluff. Realism with a touch of humor. I'm saving my favorite sign, which I saw between miles 21 and 22, for tomorrow's post.

Where are you at on your course of practicing gratitude? Journaling? A-Z gratitude list on today's commute? 3 x 3 or 4 x 4?  Take the action. You'll be glad you did.

Comments