Let-down and Lifted Up

Today I am grateful for a working washer and dryer. I am also grateful for Oliver and his quirky little habits when it's just the two of us in the early mornings.

I am struggling this morning with the post-marathon let-down that always happens to me. I am physically tired and emotionally keyed up, which wears me out even more. But I am also still reveling in the accomplishment of completing 26.2 miles. I enjoyed running the streets of Omaha. I thought about my friend Terrie. Terrie lived in Omaha and was one of my spiritual guides in my recovery from alcoholism. She died in late 2003, twenty years sober, from a brain tumor. Her wisdom continues to inspire me today.

The gratitude I feel at being able to run post-cancer, being physically capable of grueling training runs, and to simply be alive is heightened for me today as well. Some die of cancer. Some have side effects or chronic pain that would make running difficult.

So my let-down becomes a lifting up as I focus on the gifts running has given me, and the gifts of continued living of life on life's terms.

That's the beauty of gratitude. It pulls me up when I sink down into even a little self-pity.

It works. It really does.

Comments