Have Courage

Today I am grateful for time with my friend Dorothy. Time with her always means laughter and clarity. Thanks Dorothy!

I am also grateful to be able to witness some of the huge undertaking of the new Hastings bridge construction. It is fun to watch the progress and marvel at how it is done.

Line 8 of the quote I am taking piece by piece is simply "Have courage."

I believe we all have more courage than we realize. When we need it, if we face the difficult situation with faith, the courage seems to come. I think about surgery mornings when I was going through breast cancer treatment. Especially my first surgery. I had no idea what to expect with anesthesia and I knew this surgery would give us vital information about the cancer in my right breast. I was full of fear. Fear can be paralyzing. Courage is what mobolizes us and allows us to move through the fear.

Someone once pointed out the obvious; if we didn't have fear, we wouldn't need courage. Fear is normal and we all have it. Denying it does more harm than good.

What I find helpful when seeking courage are these two things:

1. Faith and trust in my Higher Power ends up providing everything I need in that moment or day.

2. Other people model courage for me by the way they live their lives. They teach me it is possible day-to-day and during a crisis.

Courage is defined as the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear. The fear may not be removed entirely, but courage knocks it down to a manageable.

I am thankful for the understanding of courage I have today.

Comments