5K

Today I am grateful for the parents I had conversations with last night at my school's Back to School Night. I am also grateful for the marathon experience I have gained since 2004.

As our 10th marathon draws nearer, my excitement builds. A goal we have worked hard for is within our reach. Running through the streets of a city is a great way to experience it. What will we see in Omaha? What will the weather be like? What will our run be like?

I have anticipation of the best kind in the days leading up to a marathon. I don't get scared or worried, or just a little if I do. And I have large amounts of gratitude. That Darcy and I share this passion. That our training went well. That we are both healthy and able to do this. That this will be my 5th marathon post-cancer. Large amounts of gratitude.

A 5K is 3.1 miles or 5,000 meters. In a marathon, it is the start when you feel fresh and energized. The crowd of runners moving around before the race begins. Elbow to elbow we get underway. Darcy and I start toward the back of the pack. (Run is a better term than race for us.)  It is fun to look in front of us and see a moving mass of runners. Our first marathon, Chicago in October, 2004, had nearly 40,000 runners at the start. It took us 11 minutes to get to the starting line. Wow!  Brookings, SD in May of 2008, just weeks before my cancer diagnosis, had less than 200 marathoners. And everything in between. I love the variety of marathons and places we have chosen.

When I started running road races, I usually did 5Ks. Short and sweet. Over in 20 minutes. But there is something to be said for endurance and persistence.

Regardless of the distance, it's one step at a time. One day at a time.

Comments

  1. Endurance and persistence was the key I heard today; the parents work with their children, you work with all of them, your running...and life. It is all endurance and persistence to deal with life on life's terms, to continue on when it doesn't feel like you are getting anywhere (the starting line even) and to have faith and hope that it will all work out...and we will finish the run of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life on life's terms, one day at a time. Some days it feels like one step forward, two steps back. Other days, I may not even be moving. But if I am still pointed in the right direction at least, then I know where to head when my energy returns. Thanks D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is full of love and relations ships, i see people just feel love is about loving there girlfriend or wife. its from your parents. love your parents and everything you deserve will be achieved. Talking of relationships, there are no meaningful relationships today. Full of ego and jealous Valentine Messages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    I am thankful for the healthy relationships I have in my life today, but they do take work and ego and jealousy can get in the way. Those relationships deserve my best effort though. I take hope in to my relationships too, but it sure can hurt when they don't work out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment