Lack

Living gratefully today, I appreciate my eyesight and the wonders I get to witness. I give thanks for my hearing and the voices and laughter of loved ones.

LACK. Lack. LACK. There have been big and little lacks in my life. It started in my childhood. Lack of comfort. Lack of guidance. Primarily when it came to my emotional learning and growth. I need to state and honor this lack because it impacted me significantly.

Yet, I want to also clearly state and honor that my childhood had fullness and depth to it that shaped me in healthy and meaningful ways. It took me nearly fifty years, but I am coming to better terms with how this lack has interfered in my life. With that has come healing and forgiveness.

There are characteristics that I have often had in short supply as an alcoholic in recovery. Lack of tolerance. Lack of acceptance. Lack of understanding. I continue to learn and grow with the help of Great Spirit and the help of many supportive people.

I don't consider myself a materialistic person, so when I think of lack, I am typically not feeling lack of bigger and better and more stuff.

When I do experience lack in my heart and in my emotional wellness, gratefulness has been a most helpful healer and guide.  I don't lack energy, or hope, or the willingness to keep working and transforming. That is thank you to the regular gratitude practice I have disciplined myself to follow. It is some of the very best work that I do.

Daylight is lacking in our part of the world as we close in on the winter solstice. Still, because of that lack, I was able to capture this magnificent sunset at 4:32 p.m. yesterday, on the edge of town about a mile from our house:


Lack is a part of the human experience. It is necessary. Without it, we wouldn't find, or recognize, the beauty and the grace that help fill us.

Comments

  1. Needed this one today; lack of meaningful purpose always gets me when I am not working. Maybe I need to dig deeper to find that contentment that comes with being.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment