Goodbye . . .

Today I am grateful for my recovery friends and the genuine life stories and laughter we share. I am grateful for this day of sobriety. I begin my recovery fresh each day.

In ways, this is a break from the A-Z list I am moving through, but it really is about perspective, so I guess it is still a "P" word.

Today is the last day of 2019, and the last day of the decade that began on January 1, 2010. Reflecting on this past year, what emerges are the tears. I cried more tears this year than ever before. They were tears of sorrow, pain, regret, loss, fear, lack. And also tears of catharsis, joy, connections, comfort, worthiness.

The tears flowed, helping me get unstuck from midlife mire. They brought clarity and direction for the day ahead, the year ahead. I say thank you to each one that fell. Tears of gratitude.Tremendous transformation through tears, time, and effort.

Reflecting on this last decade, what emerges are images of my son Sam. Nearly eight years old as the decade began, just a boy. Nearly eighteen now, a young man. I have had my ups and downs this decade, but one constant source of joy and pride has been watching this person I gave birth to grow into his own unique self.

Motherhood is bittersweet work. It is joy and pain, as you experience your child's joy and pain. It is fulfilling and depleting. It is an awesome wonder and I am so very thankful I have this opportunity with Sam. Soon, graduation and adulthood will take him away to new places, to his own transformation.  Our connection is indelible though. 2020 will bring significant milestones, and tears are likely too.

How blessed I am to be here for it all. How blessed to be fully alive.  Goodbye 2019 . . . welcome today.

Comments