Knowledge

Today I am grateful for the stars in the night sky and that they remind me of the power beyond myself. I am also grateful for holiday traditions.

KNOWLEDGE as a challenge? For me it can be. Especially self-knowledge. I have spent far too much time gaining what I thought was good self-knowledge. Hmm...wrong! All that time and thought energy put into "figuring it out" more often gets me more confused and stuck.

Think less. Feel more. Then the thoughts become clarified, and actions and boundaries more healthy. I can't do this without help. Left alone, I simply default to thinking too much. Great Spirit guides me. Meditation helps. Talking to trusted people in my life is productive. Gratitude practice energizes.

We live in the information age, inundated with facts and news 24/7 if we choose. Information and knowledge are not the same thing, but they are related. And the information about what we are doing to ourselves, one another, and our planet is often negative. It is disheartening and discouraging. And yet there is beauty and joy and grace in every day and in every human.  Living gratefully helps me see this.

Here is some knowledge, of the insightful kind, that came to me this morning. Yesterday marked the 11th anniversary of my bilateral mastectomies. It is a date I remember each year, and have written about plenty. I barely thought of it yesterday. After losing a loved one to cancer--my sister Mary Jo in June--the loss of my breasts was put into a new perspective.  She is free and at peace in new ways. My scars and flat chest are freeing and bring me peace, and gratefulness, in new ways.

Like fear, knowledge can either paralyze or catalyze us. I choose to take positive actions and make meaningful connections today.

Comments