Forgiveness

In a grateful pause, I notice the comforting sounds of my home and the people (and one dog) in it. I appreciate the idea of self-care and how I can apply it throughout my day.

The first "f" word yesterday leads to the second one today: FORGIVENESS. Fear, mostly of the irrational variety, tends to lead me to think, say, and do things for which I later need forgiveness, mostly of the self-forgiveness variety.

There are times forgiving others has been warranted, and certainly many times when I have been the one who needed to be forgiven by others. But for me, the forgiveness I need the most and often lack is the forgiveness of self.

Feeding resentments toward others and myself, berating myself for my shortcomings, these are not kind or beneficial endeavors. Fear and wrong sized-ego block gratitude and grace and faith. They prevent me from fully embracing the best stuff of life. And by stuff I don't mean material goods. I mean connections, relationships, goals, Nature, recovery, love, compassion, running, writing.

Enter forgiveness. Walls are dismantled. Feelings are dislodged and acknowledged. What is revealed are beautiful opportunities to be a kind and loving human to those around me and to this person within. Opportunities to be of good service and contribute positively to the world around me.

Recently I came across this helpful line:  "I forgive myself for not understanding."  That's a zinger for me and one I will continue to contemplate and apply.

Forgiveness takes work. I need help from others and Great Spirit to go about it in a productive way.
When the effort is applied, the freedom comes. Forgiveness. Where can and should I apply it today?

Comments