365 Days, 1000 Nights

Today I am grateful for time with both of our grandsons last evening, one in person and one over the phone. I am also very grateful for sustaining no injury when I slipped and fell in the parking lot at work yesterday morning.

"It's 365 days and 1000 nights." I have heard this said about the first year of sobriety. It can certainly be challenging, especially getting through those times when an alcoholic usually drank. I wasn't a daily drinker, but I was a daily thinker when it came to alcoholism. I spent as much time thinking about drinking as I did actually drinking.

During that first year of sobriety, that meant even more time to think, and having to learn more healthy and effective ways to turn the brain off. There were indeed long nights, long minutes some days. That's why "one day at a time" is so important.

This "365 days and 1000 nights" can be applied to many circumstances and situations we find ourselves in. I am thinking especially today of my friend Sheila, her husband Dave, and their daughter Katie. Their daughter and sister Carli died by suicide one year ago today.  I am thinking also of extended family, classmates, teachers, and all those touched by Carli.

Here is one of my posts after hearing of Carli's tragic death. It is titled "Sometimes there are no words . . ."

The last 365 days my friend and her family have gone through the unimagineable. They are making it through one day at time. Sometimes one minute or one hour at a time. Today will be a tough one. Their grief and pain is a private journey for each, a family journey together.

They are never alone though. So much love and support are coming their way from so many others.


Comments