Fleeting Specks

Today I am grateful for oatmeal and peaches, and for the many friends I have in recovery and how we support one another.

On a recent morning, as I walked Oliver in the predawn chill and dark, I noticed the sparkling flecks of frost on the grass just uncovered from last weekend's snowstorm. I love this time of the day and I appreciate that Oliver gives me a reason to get outside early each morning.

Some mornings, my mind may be on something else and I notice less of my surroundings. But on most mornings, I try to be tuned in to what I am seeing and hearing, both for some moving meditation time and for our safety.

As I considered the sparkling flecks of frost, I pondered how they would be gone in a few short hours, as the sun rose and the temperature climbed above freezing. I appreciated the glinting ice crystals and the peace and beauty they created, but I looked forward to the warmer temperatures.

I was getting ahead of myself. Mindfulness and gratitude are about enjoying the here and now.

Yet, I was getting a profound reminder of the nature of life, of our time on earth. It too is fleeting, we are but mere specks of humanity. Each speck matters though. You matter. I matter. The frost matters.

There is a humble grace in it all, in this living gratefully.

Comments