Immersed in Sisterhood

Today I am grateful for safe travels and time with my seven sisters. We shared lodging, food, conversation, card games, laughter, tears. We shared precious time together.

We are eight different women with varied personalities, perspectives, and perceptions. And yet, we have much in common, much that unifies us and our five brothers as siblings. We have shared history and separate histories.

We were shaped by our upbringing, in both positive and challenging ways. We were raised in the same house, but not always in the same ways. Ranging in age from me at 52 to my oldest sister Danita at 65, we have all had the opportunity to age and grow more wise in those years.

Our age may show more in physical ways, but we are beautiful and amazing way beyond skin deep.

I am still unpacking my luggage and my emotions from our recent time together. I so appreciate that things fell into place and that we spent four days in one another's company. The impetus was my sister Mary Jo's metastatic breast cancer diagnosis, but also a desire to celebrate our sisterhood.

And that we did. My favorite picture of us together is one I won't share here. It is the 8 of us giving a certain finger to a certain disease called cancer.

Here is a picture I will share though:


My hand is the one with the green bracelet, and clockwise it goes in age order to Ruth, Zita, Leonice, Ann, Mary Jo, Aileen, and Danita.

These hands have worked hard on our family farm, written letters and emails to one another, dialed phone numbers, sent packages, made coffee and food to share. And helped provide many hugs over many years. Just to name a few things. We each have a hand in our family's story and in our sisterhood. Onward we go. Let the story continue!


Comments