More from Mark Nepo

Today I am grateful for a pleasant walk and conversation with my friend Liz yesterday morning and a good phone conversation with my stepson Arthur last evening.

I blogged about Mark Nepo last week in posts here and here. His approach and the way he says things captured me. Here are a couple more quotes from him:

"One key to knowing joy is being easily pleased."

"In seeking what is essential, we become essential."

Being easily pleased does make it a simpler path to contentment. Being pleased can be as easy as appreciating the little things that bring joy. The fresh morning air. The first sip of coffee. Appreciating being able to see, hear, taste, smell, and touch. Fingers that work on a computer keyboard that works. Sore muscles from miles of walking and running. When I focus on the many gifts I already have, rather than dwelling on that which I wish I had or could get, joy is a more frequent companion.

Becoming essential. Isn't that what we all really hope to be? Feeling essential can be both healthy and unhealthy. It is unhealthy when we do for others what they should do for themselves, when we put someone else in a position of unfairness by saying we can't live without them. A healthy essential is understanding our small part in the large universe, understanding that we are all both significant and insignificant. Seeking the right actions and calm emotions is essential to my well-being. Seeking clear thoughts and help from my Higher Power and other people in my life is essential to my well-being. Seeking the true beauty that surrounds us every day, not the false beauty that people try to buy or create, is essential to me.

Gratitude practice helps me both find little joys and feel essential in the stream of life.

Comments