The Words of Mark Nepo

Today I am grateful for bird songs and my five working senses.

I want to thank my sister Danita for mentioning Mark Nepo to me a few months ago. He is a poet, spiritual teacher, and cancer survivor (diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma in 1987). He has written several books, but is probably best-known for his The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have. Just the title of the book is enough. If I stay present, I see and feel my blessings. I have enough instead of always wanting more.

He talks about and writes about living life wholeheartedly. His experience as a cancer patient was a defining time in his life. It was in mine too. Often, a real challenge helps bring clarity to a person's direction in life. But that doesn't mean you need to wait for something serious to shake you up. Are you fulfilled with your life as it is? If so, keep doing what you are doing. If not, the words of Mark Nepo may inspire you to work for personal change.

One of his quotes is: "If I had experienced different things, I would have different things to say." Honoring our own life experience is so important. Denying it or burying it without working through the difficult emotions isn't helpful. Those emotions find a way out, and usually not the healthiest way. Shrugging it off as unimportant or inconsequential isn't fair either. Your life matters. You matter. Don't doubt that what you have been through has already helped shape you and helps others in the sharing of it.

I am most touched, most helped by someone when they share honestly, when they admit weaknesses and pitfalls and what they learned from them. I hope I offer some of the same on this blog. Today I know I have a voice. I have things to say. I try to honor that in myself and to listen to others. More on listening tomorrow.

Comments