Short or Long Essay?

Today I am grateful for sources of humor--other people, pets, my own awareness, the role of chance. I am also grateful for the laughter that often accompanies humor.

I want to wish my stepson Arthur and his wife Alyssa a Happy 1st Anniversary today! Enjoy your day!

I get ideas for blog posts from a variety of sources. In a conversation the other day, someone used the term "long essay," as in they wouldn't bore us with a long essay. I have been known to be too wordy and I appreciate the writing practice this blog provides. I continue to fine tune my use of words and how many I employ at a time. When it comes to tests, I prefer a short essay over a long essay. Sometimes shorter is better.

What about life as an essay? On this matter, the longer the better is how I feel at this point in my journey. I want to keep writing and living for many years. If it is up to me, the long essay of my life has many pages and chapters yet to be written.

But only part of it is up to me. There are factors beyond my control and current knowledge that will play into my longevity. I can only work on the factors I do control. My attitude and actions. Healthy attitudes and healthy actions won't guarantee me more days and years, but they will make the days and years I have better.

Along those lines, here is today's word from gratefulness.org:

"You cannot give your life more days, but you can give your days more life." (Unknown)

My attitude and actions are really intertwined. One impacts the other. Two of the most important things I do for my overall health are exercise and practice gratitude regularly. Sometimes it is the action of exercise that helps my attitude. At other times, my attitude about exercise helps get me moving when I lack energy. I know I will be rewarded in many ways for my efforts. 

Gratitude is the same way. Sometimes the action of doing an A-Z gratitude list or writing someone a gratitude letter helps boost my attitude in the positive direction. Sometimes my attitude about gratitude practice helps me persevere and find gratitude amidst a rough patch or a difficult moment.

I appreciate that both exercise and gratitude practice help me to not take life for granted as much as I used to. I appreciate the opportunity to add to my life's essay today.

Comments