Understanding Companionship

Today I am grateful for oatmeal for breakfast and cooler, less humid weather.

The quote in my gratitude journal today is from Amelia Earhart:

"The more one does and sees and feels, the more one is able to do, and the more genuine may be one's appreciation of fundamental things like home, and love, and understanding companionship."

It's funny how a phrase or quote may strike us one time, but be barely noticed at another. I am on my second year of my gratitude journal. If this quote touched me last year, it was only in passing. This year, I feel compelled to post about it. That is the way life is. Each day, depending on our perspective, different things will impact us. The more I am present and paying attention, however, the more valuable things and experiences I seem to pick up as I move through my day. Certainly, this is one of the best ongoing benefits of gratitude practice for me.

Considering the life that Amelia Earhart had, including being the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1932, it seems her words above are heartfelt and genuine. She wrote them because she lived them. I can't speak for her, but it sure appears that she lived her life willing and open to new things while remaining true to her self. She and her navigator disappeared in 1937 while she was attempting to become the first woman to fly around the world. Their plane was never found. They had completed 22,000 of the 29,000 miles of the trip. Her accomplishments and efforts did much to advance women's rights at a time when there were still many limitations. I thank her for that.

The words that struck me the most today were "understanding companionship."  I feel deeply blessed to have my husband Darcy and the healthy relationship we have. But also the many family members and friends that fill my life with that "understanding companionship" as well. I often especially feel it when I am with other recovering people. Our disease gives us a common ground and a shared goal. It is a good starting point.

Today I will appreciate the understanding companionship others share with me.

Comments