Home Safe and Sound

Today I am grateful for safe travels and a good experience for our son Sam and the others who were with him on our church youth group's mission trip.

I am especially grateful to the three leaders who went with our group, gave of their time and energy to help make this a worthwhile few days, and kept an eye out for our children's safety and well-being.

Sam is 12 and this was his first mission trip. I think he was a little nervous, but that is to be expected. He is pretty even-keeled and I am very thankful for that. I both looked forward to him having this trip and worried for him, like any parent I guess. But I also know it is good for all of us-Sam, my husband, and I-to have time to ourselves.

It is important for Sam, at his age, to get comfortable away from home and stretch himself, and I am glad he did. He helped paint and take care of children. He slept on the floor. He met new people from different states and Canada. He is tired and telling us about his experience in spurts. That is fine with me. And he won't tell us everything, and that is fine too. He is his own person and this experience was his, not ours.

It was hard for me to say goodbye to Sam last Sunday, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't also looking forward to a quieter house, a different routine, and time for just my husband and I. It was an enjoyable week in that respect as well.

I am just glad to have him home safe and sound, grateful that he had a good experience.

Comments