Palpable Relief

Today  I am grateful for our bikes, the morning quiet, and the breast cancer support group I attend.

Yesterday I wrote about unforgettable days and moments. July 17, 2008 was one of my unforgettable days.I went in that morning for a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy; the first surgery to address the cancer in my right breast. It had been six weeks since my diagnosis and I was ready to move forward. Six weeks of tests, appointments, fear, and agonizing waiting. I feared the cancer was growing. I feared the news from surgery would be concerning. I feared a bad reaction to anesthesia. I feared the unknown and my life was full of it at that time.

Some pre-surgery unforgettable moments: the intense, but short-lived pain of getting a shot in my right nipple, saying goodbye to my husband as they wheeled me into the OR, a vague memory of being on the operating room table looking up at a big light and hearing movement around me, then I was out.

Post-surgery there were unforgettable moments of extreme, palpable relief. Waking up and knowing I had survived surgery and my first time under anesthesia. Hearing the news that the sentinel node biopsy was clean. Huge relief! They test the lymph node where cancer is likely to first travel to from the breast. It showed no sign  of cancer, which was very good news because it meant the cancer was likely contained in my breast. A few days later, I got more good news from pathology-the margins were clean around the small invasive tumor I had. The scariest of the two cancers I had was gone. More palpable relief.

But the journey was just beginning in ways. I still had DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) in my breast and a sample from my invasive tumor was sent off for the Oncotype DX test to determine if I was a good candidate for chemotherapy.

One more unforgettable moment from July 17, 2008:  When we arrived home later that afternoon, my son Sam, six at the time, took my hand so tenderly and helped me upstairs to rest. It was a precious, precious moment.

I am grateful for my health today, grateful my cancer prognosis has been good. It is one of the reasons I try to appreciate each day and not take life for granted.

Comments