Zenith

Today I am grateful for the breast cancer support group I attend and the friends I have made there. I am also grateful for my neighbor Amy-a fellow BC patient. We sometimes cross paths on our morning walks and I am struck by both of us being healthy and able-bodied over five years post-diagnosis. I saw Amy on my walk this morning. I don't ever want to take my health for granted and in order to not do that I need to appreciate it daily.

I am starting the "z" words with zenith-a highest point or state, culmination, the strongest or most successful period of time. My thoughts are pretty random this morning, so here goes.

I am ready for the zenith of this five-day cleanse Darcy and I are doing. It is going well and I am learning more about my body and the way I nourish it. But I am ready for the culmination, the final meal on the plan. From that zenith however, I hope to continue on a healthier regimen.

Marathons and zeniths go hand in hand. Two of the highest points in my marathons were 1) Coming around the corner near Mile 26 and seeing the finish line at my first marathon, the Chicago Marathon in 2004 and 2) Darcy and I finishing a marathon side-by-side for the first time, in 2009 in Kansas City, 10 months to the day after my bilateral mastectomies.

Another zenith was the birth of our son Sam. I enjoyed the months of pregnancy that led up to the zenith of his birth too. Amazing, all of it. In part of my heart, he will always be that tiny infant I held for the first time.

Can there be a zenith regarding gratitude practice? My thought today is no. There is always more to learn, more growing to do. But the journey to that highest point is worth it. I hope I never reach the zenith in this respect. The possibilities are endless. For that I am truly grateful.

Comments