Yolk

Today I am grateful for water to drink. How many people in this world lack safe drinking water? I am also grateful for eggs to eat.

Yolk is the last of the "y" words I am choosing to blog about. I would like to focus on the yolk of the egg. I am a big fan of eggs. I always have been. I would like to eat an egg or two for breakfast this morning, but I can't. Darcy and I are doing a 5-day cleanse to detoxify, jumpstart our metabolism, and perhaps take off a few pounds. Eggs are not on the menu for a few days, or dairy, or sugar, or lots of other things. But we are doing okay as we start day 2. My body is wondering what is going on, but it is also thanking me for caring enough to give this a try. Thanks to my niece Katie for the information and the support. It is all appreciated!

I grew up gathering and enjoying farm-fresh eggs, though I didn't know the difference until I had eggs that weren't farm-fresh. (Not a big difference in my opinion, but still noticeable.) Most recipes that called for eggs took the whole egg, but some called for just the whites. I never got as good at separating the yolk from the whites as my mom was, but I knew the trick anyway.

Never a fan of runny yolks, I prefer my fried eggs to be fried enough to avoid that mess. Fried eggs also made a good late-night snack for me in my drinking days. Don't ask me why. I don't know. But there were many times I would get home late, really late, and fry up a couple of eggs. If my parents and siblings heard me, they never came out to join me. Thankfully, I didn't lose my appetite for eggs during that time.

If I seem a little random today, I think the toxins are working their way out and my brain is a bit befuddled because it hasn't had much sugar to speak of, at least the refined kind that I love so much. At least I know that when this cleanse is over I can return to eating eggs.

Comments