Taking the Edge Off

Today I am grateful for my five senses and that they are in good working order. I am grateful for the longer daylight too, making it a little more bearable to get through this bitter cold stretch.

Today's topic is taking the edge off. How do I take the edge off frustration, exhaustion, a craving? How do I take the edge off anger, impatience, or disappointment? I guess when I think of "taking the edge off," I tend to think of it as a sharp edge that could cause pain or problems if not blunted a little, or a lot.

One most effective way for me to blunt a sharp edge is through exercise. It always helps and it always works. Another way is through writing. Spilling out emotions that would continue to roil and boil if left inside my head and heart. The good news is I don't have as many of those type of emotions as I used to.

Speaking of used to, I used to consider alcohol a favorite and effective way to take the edge off. Sure, it worked temporarily. But as time went on, I got edgier and edgier, both when drinking and when wishing I could be drinking. I am so grateful I got off of that merry-go-round. And I am grateful to those who continue to help me stay off that merry-go-round.

Lately I am learning to take the edge off of a sugar craving by having a glass of water or some fruit, or treating myself in moderation only.

Gratitude practice rounds off sharp edges well. It reminds me that I am very blessed in so many ways, that today is a gift to be cherished. Self-pity and perpetual dissatisfaction were sharpeners and now they don't work when I put gratitude practice into use.

I am grateful for healthy ways to deal with difficult emotions and situations. How do you "take the edge off" in healthy ways? 

Comments