Unravel

Today I am grateful for sleep and a good night of it. I am also grateful for being able to write and type without pain. There are many who can't.

Today's word is unravel. To undo. To separate. I usually think of it as something good coming apart, so I tend to see it as a negative unraveling, an unwanted undoing. But the truth is that there are times when unraveling and doing over are the best routes to take. We all need and deserve do-overs in life.

This was the quote in my gratitude journal one day last week:

"Hem your blessings with thankfuless so they don't unravel." (Author Unknown)

Blessings would be something I wouldn't want to unravel. I have found that they can quickly do so, however, if I forget to be thankful, forget to appreciate each day's gifts, big and small. If I start taking those gifts for granted, the unraveling begins, the ungrateful attitude slips in. I get frustrated more easily. Other people frustrate me more quickly and I start judging everything and everyone too harshly, myself included. Talk about unraveling peace and serenity.

I am not good at sewing real hems, but I persistently keep hemming my blessings by acknowledging them through thoughts, words, and actions. Such a hem holds up well, even on tougher days.

Comments