Vivacious

Today I am grateful for a run outdoors yesterday afternoon, first alone, then with Oliver, our dog. We were both happy to be taking in the fresh air and sunshine. I am also grateful for the recovery friends I have and the conversation and laughter we share.

Vivacious is another "v" word that grabbed me. It is briefly defined as lively in temper, conduct, or spirit. It is a word I have never used to describe myself-until now. I saw vivacious people as outgoing and confident. I was neither, though I would use alcohol, a well-known social lubricant, to try to feel more confident and act more outgoing. I was shy, inhibited, closed off. That's how I felt anyway. I really don't know how others perceived me, and it really doesn't matter anymore.

Today I say, with confidence, that I have a vivacious spirit. I remain reserved in my temperament and conduct more often than not, but my spirit is usually pretty lively. I owe that to recovery from alcoholism, love from others, gratitude practice, an ongoing mission to deepen my faith and live life to the fullest.

Gratitude practice does for me what sugar does for little kids. It gets me going. It winds me up. It gets the old heart pumping and the soul singing. But like sugar, the effects wear off quickly. I wouldn't recommend too much sugar consumption. (Though it is definitely a weakness of mine.) However, I do recommend regular gratitude practice.

I am grateful to be able-bodied and alive today. That feeds my vivacious spirit.

Are you more vivacious in temper, conduct, or spirit? Be grateful for whatever makes you feel alive.

Comments