Seeking Tranquil Times

Today I am grateful for resiliency, on a personal level and that which I see exhibited by others, young and old. Gratitude is a producer of resiliency in my opinion.

I am also grateful that my journey through the alphabet has me coming across wonderful words I don't think about or use often. One such word is today's tranquil.

Tranquil-free from agitation of mind or spirit, free from disturbance or turmoil, unvarying in aspect; steady, stable

That is a lofty definition, a lofty goal to aspire to. But it is a good one. It is one I am slowly learning more about and experiencing in growing doses.

But it is also a stark reminder about those suffering today, particularly the families in Newtown, CT and that entire community. Tranquil times will be hard to come by for many grieving people for many days, weeks, and months to come. But if a moment of tranquility comes along, it will mean a lot. Let us not forget, either, the many helpers, both those professionally trained and those just wanting to be supportive, who have been a steady, stable, tranquil presence in the lives of the most devastated families.

In my own life, tranquil makes me think about recovery from alcoholism. I had a thinking problem that was exacerbated by drinking. The drinking is gone, the thinking can still be problematic. But I am more aware, and quicker to squelch the negative train of thought, quicker to avoid mental turmoil. Looking back, it seems like I went for years lacking tranquil times. I was always agitated in one way or another. Always regretting shortcomings or striving to prove myself. To who? Why?

Today, through daily efforts that include prayer, meditation, and the practice of gratitude, among many other things, I can identify a tranquil time when it comes. That is progress. I can also slow myself down enough to actually invite a tranquil time.

That is worth being thankful for.

Comments