A Robust Approach to Life

Today I am grateful for my family and their safety and for roadways that are now clear of last weekend's snow.

I am also grateful for the robust approach to life that I have. Robust-having or showing vigor, strength, or firmness.

I have always had a robust physical nature, leading a very active life in physical terms and rarely being sick or slowed down. I started out with a couple of hospital stays at ages 4 and 5, but until cancer came along at 42, the only other time I was in the hospital was when Sam was born. I feel strong and healthy today and for that I am very thankful.

But when it comes to the other areas of my life-mental, emotional, and spiritual-I was not always living vigorously and robustly. I was suffering from low self-esteem, active alcoholism, self-pity, and my emotional growth was stunted for a number of reasons. My thoughts were not very productive, my feelings were often bottled up, and my faith was lacking.

I am a late bloomer and a slow learner, but I am so grateful today that with the help and support of others, with a growing faith in my Higher Power, and with daily work, my life is robust in all areas.My thoughts are more positive and directed. My feelings are acknowledged and felt. My faith continues to gain strength.

Gratitude is key to my robust approach to life. It is an endeavor that pays back in how I feel physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It is an amazing gift if I work at it. This blog helps me work at it. Thanks for being out there. Have a good day!

Comments