Juggling Life

Today I am grateful for sweat, endorphins, and moving meditation as I exercised this morning on the Nordic Track.

The word of the day is juggle. To juggle is to hold or balance precariously, to handle or deal with usually several things at one time so as to satisfy often competing requirements.

The more roles a person has, the more juggling, but sometimes one role helps balance out another.I am a wife, mother/stepmother, recovering alcoholic, writer, friend, sister, daughter, cancer patient, school counselor, colleague to name a few. I cherish all of my roles and take energy from each that I can give to another. Some days it may be the job that drains me and the runner that revives me. Other days, the family roles may both zap and inspire me. Giving time to my recovery and to writing on a daily basis gives me the perspective and the direction to "juggle" all the other roles.

I think sometimes I, and many others, can fall into the trap of juggling too much. The precarious balance gets off-kilter and something gives. That is when cutting back or saying no is not only helpful, it is healthy. Realizing and accepting there is only so much time in a day and it can't all get done helps me better enjoy the task in front of me versus rushing and stressing about all that I still have to do after this. The prayer "Slow me down Lord" comes to mind.

I also have to be careful of the "competing requirements."  Am I overdoing it and why? Some days and weeks truly are overloaded with commitments that are all a priority. But most of the time, if I am prioritizing with the right motives, I can let a few things go, or put them off until tomorrow, making the juggling easier.

And finally, I first titled this post "Juggling Act," but as I wrote, I realized that if it's an act there's a problem. I am probably letting the wrong motives sway me.  "Juggling Life" is a better fit and I appreciate the opportunity to do just that today.  Have a good day! 

Comments