From Quest to Questions

Today I am grateful I was able to come home and hug my son yesterday. I am also grateful that my quest for spiritual growth continues.

That is the word I had chosen for today: quest. Pursuit or search. I was going to write about my quest to learn more about myself and to explore deeper faith. I was going to write about how my quest for daily gratitude has given me a fuller life.

And then I heard the horrific news from Newtown, Connecticut. My heart aches as I think about the parents who rushed to the school in search of their children. The huge relief the ones who found their children alive and well must have felt. And the incomprehensible pain and grief the ones who lost a child are waking up to today.

There are many questions that law enforcement officials are trying to answer. Questions that frightened children have for their parents. Questions about broader social issues like gun control and the availability of mental health treatment.

And any thought of gratitude seems tough to grasp this morning. But we need to grab on to it. We need to grab on to some good.

Comments